Monday, August 16, 2010

Looking Back On The Big Ride




48 days, 3400 miles, 250 hours on my bike, and 3 flat tires later, I can officially say that I rode my bike across the country!

Even though I did it, it's still hard to comprehend the magnitude of how that sounds. (Although, according to one person I met along the way, I wasn't actually going across the country because D.C. isn't on the coast...I was too caught off guard to ask her where she started and ended her cross country bike ride)

Since the ride has been over for two weeks now, it's probably time to stop avoiding writing my last reflections. I guess I just don't want to admit that it this amazing experience has actually come to an end, but with school starting on Monday it's probably time to do just that. So, in a change for me, this post will be lacking pictures and heavy on the writing. You've been warned:)

Before the ride started I definitely had moments of questioning myself and whether I would actually be able to make it the entire way. But as the ride went on, it gradually turned from something I hoped I would do, to something that I was actually doing. I can say without a doubt that this was thanks to the amazing group of people that were on the ride with me.

When you spend almost 24 hours a day for 7 weeks with people, you get to know a lot about them. And when you throw in the challenge of riding your bike 80+ miles a day, you get to know even more about them. We became a traveling family, that enjoyed the good times, but also encouraged each other when things got tough.

There were definitely days that were more challenging than others (be it due to the weather, the terrain, overall tiredness, bicycle problems, or any other number of things), but there wasn't a day that I didn't laugh and find at least something to appreciate about the experience. One of our mantras was "It could be worse." And when you remember that, it becomes much easier to be thankful for what you have been given: the gift of being able to ride your bike.

Now that I've returned to normal life, I can say that I miss the simplicity of being on the ride. I woke up most mornings not knowing where I was or where I was going. I never saw the news, which was a refreshing change. All I really had to worry about was biking, eating, and sleeping. Even though it was physically challenging, mentally it was actually a nice break from the real world. I became much better at living in the moment and appreciating what I had in the here and now, because to think about all 3300 miles at once was just too overwhelming. I focused on getting to the next rest stop, or the next town, or on some days, the next mile marker.

Accomplishing this has been a goal of mine for so long that it's going to be hard to think of the next thing I want to challenge, but I'm sure something will come up. Until my next big thing, hopefully I'll continue to enjoy the journey, appreciate the gifts I've been given, and accept the unexpected.

1 comment: