Saturday, April 7, 2012

Double Duals

I volunteered to help with the IA rowing double dual, and somehow managed to volunteer myself right into driving the official's launch. I hadn't driven a launch in about a year...so was a bit nervous. Especially when right off the bat 4 of the judges climbed into my launch and I had to get them to their respective places. But, I got to follow right behind all the races, which was way more fun than usual rowing viewing where you see the teams for only about a minute of the race. And since the official I was driving didn't end up in the lake, and I didn't run over any boats, I consider the day a huge success. And in case you didn't know, after the official's boat follows the race, they get to turn around and race back to the other end to the start. So I got to spend all day racing across the lake.

Driving Bud (the launch), and Dennis (the official). Right before the first race of the day Dennis handed me a stopwatch to time races with him. While I said "no problem, I can handle that" I was thinking, "you want me to do what while I do what?" Sometimes the best way to learn is on the fly...





We had a few sprinkles while on the water, but luckily the rain held off until right after we were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment